Friday, June 26, 2009

I am tired of my dreams.

Something I wrote 7yrs ago:

"The summer pavement hisses under wheels as I drive through these streets. I move along with the windows down until I can't take the heat hissing across my face. I wipe the sweat away in buckets. Each rivulet of perspiration counts for a second passed in the summer time.

Another few months till the fall. Another eon until the winter. I can make it, driving along. The time passes quickly when I want to savor it, slow when I want it to move into fast forward mode.

I've said this before, but there never seems to be a happy medium.

Tonight, I trekked up and down Hickory and Fry Street. I passed the van with it's assorted hemp items and the man on the curb in front of Treasure Aisles blasting music from his portable stereo. I bought cigarettes and the man at the counter muttered nonsense about France. I laughed.

I had no idea what he meant.

Someone outside my apartment is playing a digeridoo. There is a party next door. If I put my ear to my wall I can hear almost every conversation that is taking place outside. None of them are interesting, but it passes the time to lie in bed, pressed against the wall and listening. I am not worried about how ridiculous this seems. Insomnia can do that to a person.

Earlier, I was out again. Back to the streets. The pavement has cooled off since the night released its shadows to cover it. I trapsed up and down again, alone. I contemplated driving to every house I knew, knocking on doors....someone please spare me a conversation.

Instead I ended up drinking chai tea at Karma. I tried to remain incospicuous and anonymous but the boy next to me wanted conversation. I shortened whatever needed to be said with monosyllabic responses. I did not mean to be rude. I drank my tea and smoked my cigarettes in silence. I read for an hour. I smiled at the newly met stranger before I got up to leave. Now I am here and I want to leave again.....

I don't want to sleep. I am tired of my dreams."


self-portrait while pretending to sleep for posturing's sake


Ledbelly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

No comments:

Post a Comment